- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour,30 min
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Makes: 30 servings
Fried Mac and Cheese Bites
- 4 cups Elbow macaroni,cooked according to package directions (12 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cup Milk,divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups Shredded cheddar cheese,divided
- 1 cup Shredded mozzarella
- 2 Eggs
- 8 ounces Panko bread crumbs (1 box)
- 6 cups Soybean oil (for deep frying)
Instructions for Fried Mac and Cheese BitesPlace cooked macaroni in large bowl.
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.Whisk in flour,cooking until bubbly.Add 1 1/4 cups milk in a thin stream,stirring constantly.Stir in salt,black pepper and cayenne.Simmer for two minutes;remove from heat.Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese.
Fold cheese mixture into macaroni.Stir in mozzarella and remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese.Spread onto rimmed sheet pan.Cover and place in freezer for 1 hour until firm but not frozen.
Mix eggs with remaining 1/4 cup milk in shallow bowl.Place panko in separate shallow bowl.
Preheat soybean oil to 360° F in heavy frying pan or small deep fryer.
Scoop 1/4 cup mixture into 2- to 3-inch balls,compressing slightly.Dip into egg mixture,then roll in panko.Repeat to form 30 balls.
Fry in small batches,3 to 4 minutes turning as needed,until light golden brown.Drain on paper towels.