- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Makes: 10 servings
- 2 teaspoons GOYA® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 package GOYA® Chorizo,finely chopped (7 oz.)
- 1⁄2 Onion,finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 1⁄2 Green bell pepper,finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon GOYA® Minced Garlic (or 2 cloves garlic,finely chopped)
- 1 can GOYA® Tomato Sauce (7 oz.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon GOYA® Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning with Pepper
- 1 package GOYA® Discos,thawed (14 oz.)
- All-purpose flour (for rolling out dough)
- GOYA® Vegetable Oil (for frying)
Instructions for Chorizo Empanadas
Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.Add chorizo,onions and bell pepper.Cook,stirring occasionally,until vegetables are soft and chorizo is heated through,about 8 minutes.Stir in garlic;cook until fragrant,about 1 minute more.Add tomato sauce and ½ cup water;bring to boil.Reduce heat to medium.Cook,stirring occasionally,until sauce thickens and completely coats chorizo,about 5 minutes.Season with Adobo.
Transfer chorizo mixture to medium heat-proof bowl.Let sit until steam subsides.Refrigerate until cold.(Note: Chorizo filling can be stored covered in refrigerator for up to 1 week).
On lightly floured work surface,using rolling pin,roll out disco until about ½ inch larger in diameter.Spoon heaping tablespoon cooled chorizo mixture into middle of dough.
Moisten edges with water and fold in half to form half-moon shape.Seal edges by pressing with fork.Repeat with remaining discos and filling to make 10 empanadas.
Heat 2 inches vegetable oil in large,heavy pot over medium-high heat until vegetable oil registers 350°F on deep-fry thermometer.Alternately,heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F.Fry empanadas in batches until dough is crisp and golden brown and filling is hot,about 5-6 minutes per batch.Transfer empanadas to paper towels to drain.Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy ofGoya