- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 2 hours,15 min
- Total Time: 2 hours,45 min
- Makes: 6 servings
- 1 1⁄2 cup Warm water (105° to 115°),divided
- 1⁄2 cup Granulated sugar,divided
- 1 (1/4 oz.) envelope Active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup Trans fat-free soybean oil-based shortening
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Evaporated milk
- 2 Large eggs,beaten
- 7 1⁄2 cups All-purpose flour
- 6 cups Soybean oil (for deep frying)
- 3 cups Powdered sugar,sifted
Instructions for Big-Easy Beignets
Combine a ½ cup of warm water (between 105°F to 115°F) and 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar in a small bowl.Sprinkle with yeast;let stand for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile,microwave the remaining 1 cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 to 2 minutes until boiling.Combine shortening,remaining sugar and salt in a large bowl.Add hot water and evaporated milk;beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined.Stir in yeast mixture and eggs.
Reduce the mixer speed to low;gradually add flour,mixing until dough forms a ball.Transfer to a lightly greased bowl and flip to grease top.Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface;roll to ¼-inch thickness.Cut the dough into 2-inch squares.
Preheat soybean oil to 375°F in a heavy frying pan or small deep fryer.
Fry the beignets in batches for about 1 minute on each side.Repeat with the remaining dough squares.Drain on paper towels.Dust immediately with powdered sugar.